|Despite planning and best intentions, things get a lot trickier the second you embark on your getaway. (Shutterstock)
There are certain defining moments in every new relationship; the first time you spend the night, hang out with his/her friends or get introduced to a new partnerís parents are just some of those milestones. Perhaps the biggest turning point is when a new beau suggests a vacation, trip or weekend away, just the two of you.
Itís a proposal that can launch multiple emotions ranging from excitement (wow, he must really like me) and panic (how am I going to keep my hair from frizzing up) to fear (what if we fight the whole time.) Those feelings are generally accompanied by equal parts primping, prodding and prepping.
Despite planning and best intentions, things get a lot trickier the second you embark on your getaway. Tiny peccadilloes only get magnified and people either mesh or clash as travel companions. Quite frankly (and often), that first trip as a twosome can be a deal breaker. So here are some simple insights for single ladies to take on the road with them which may come in handy:
Ladies, remember this about men:
1. Getting Lost is an Adventure: Itís not that men think they have a better sense of direction than women, need to be in control or are resistant to asking for help (well ok maybe some of that), they simply love to explore. Getting lost gives them the chance to stumble upon hidden spots, taste new flavors and touch foreign objects and sate their curiosity, which is why more often than not they will follow a trail or road to nowhere.
2. Weather is Not a Critical Element: It appears as though men have some sort of cold and warm weather resistance whereby rest, romance and relaxation are not controlled by rain or shine. Ladies, if you want to travel simpatico know that men have no remorse sleeping or staying indoors on a hot sunny day nor will they allow a brewing storm to ruin their plans for an outdoor excursion.
3. The Remote Equals Control in Every Language: Most men have a keen ability to watch anything, anytime, anywhere, especially when it comes to sports, reruns and action flicks. It should come as no surprise if you find your man glued to episode 98 of Seinfeld, regardless if itís in Italian, Dutch or Japanese.
4. They Are Not Attuned to Hunger Signals: Meals have no beginning or end for a guy whoís on vacation. For them a free breakfast buffet or open air food market is akin to a Chanel sample sale. We suggest you donít assume them to be cheap (or a glutton) if they insist on making the rounds for a meal just before dinner.
5. They Have Body Doubts Too: Bearing it all on the beach or in bed that first time can be just as intimidating for a man as it can be for you. Men are riddled with their own set of insecurities with a little paunch or back hair topping the list from our informal survey amongst editors. Itís important not to think of them as less manly if they take time for personal-care rituals of their own, even when that involves cover-up or tweezers!
SingleEdition.com is the premier lifestyle destination for singles women and men of all ages who have never been married as well as those who are divorced, solo parents or suddenly alone.