Chocolate and nuts are a terrific culinary combination. Whether it’s dark chocolate, milk or white chocolate in combination with walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts, all variations can work in a multitude of desserts and confections.
This week I’m partnering dark chocolate and roasted hazelnuts in a simple tart.
This brownie-like tart is very easy to prepare and needs only a dusting of cocoa powder or icing sugar to decorate along with some fresh berries or a berry coulis.
Take advantage of the last of the local raspberries to serve with this delicious dense tart.
Chocolate Hazelnut Tart
- 7 oz. (100g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 7 tbsp. (100g) butter
- 2/3 c. (150 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 1 c. (250 ml) all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 c. (250 ml) toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Parchment paper
- Fresh berries for garnish
- Mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C)
- Grease and line a 9-inch (23 cm) tart pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the chopped chocolate and butter over simmering water, in a double boiler or carefully in a bowl in a microwave oven. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, eggs and salt.
- Stir in flour until just combined.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake approximately 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Drizzle with fruit puree and garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint. Makes 8 - 10 servings.