For many families, Easter weekend is celebrated with a special meal.
Whether you are having the typical, ham, turkey or possibly lamb, you can count on some kind of potato dish to accompany it.
Our family particularly enjoys baked potato dishes in the form of gratins and scalloped potatoes. The nice thing about this kind of a dish, is that it can be assembled ahead and simply popped into the oven to cook about an hour or so before you plan to serve dinner.
To change things up a bit this year, I’ve included sweet potatoes along with Russet potatoes in the following rich version of scalloped potatoes.
Whipping cream and butter are warmed up with some minced garlic and fresh thyme before being poured over the potatoes. For the cheese in this dish you can use either Emmental, Gruyere or Fontina.
Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme
- 2 cups whipping cream 35%
- 1/4 c. (50 ml) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp. (7 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) pepper
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) Russet potatoes
- 1- 1/2 lbs. (750 g) sweet potatoes
- 1 -1/2 c. (375 ml) grated Emmental, Gruyere or Fontina cheese
1. In a small saucepan combine the cream, butter, and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Peel the Russet potatoes and sweet potatoes and place in a bowl of water.
3. Using a mandoline, slice the Russet potatoes about 1/8 inch thick. (If you don’t have a mandoline, use a sharp knife and cut as thinly as possible). Repeat with the sweet potatoes.
4. Butter a 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish.
5. Place a layer of the Russet potatoes in the dish, followed by a layer of sweet potatoes.
6. Sprinkle with half of cheese.
7. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese. Pour cream mixture over gratin. Using a spatula, press gently to submerge potato mixture as much as possible.
8. Preheat oven to 375°F.
(180C) Cover tightly with foil. Bake 35 minutes. Uncover; bake until top is golden and most of liquid is absorbed, about 30 to 35 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Note, This dish can be made several hours ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate.