|Tri-colour carrot salad. (Derek Ruttan/QMI AGENCY)
Carrots, like many vegetables have had many more varieties come to market in recent years.
Along with the favourite orange variety, there are now yellow and purple to add to the mix. Carrots are an essential ingredient in my kitchen year round and I use them in countless cooked and raw dishes.
This week I’m featuring three types of carrots in a salad recipe. The dressing is Asian-inspired and includes sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar.
This flavourful salad is an ideal side dish to grilled salmon, chicken or pork tenderloin.
Tri-Colour Carrot Salad with a Sesame, Soy Vinaigrette
- 2 medium orange carrots, trimmed, and peeled
- 2 medium yellow carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1 large purple carrot, trimmed and peeled
- 1/4 c. (50 ml) chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) rice vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) toasted sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Julienne the carrots using either a mandolin, julienne peeler or a julienne or shredding disk of a food processor.
2. Place the carrots, cilantro and green onions in a medium bowl.
3. Make the dressing by whisking the sesame oil, vegetable oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Add a pinch of sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the dressing to the carrot mixture and gently toss.
5. Add sesame seeds. Gently toss. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serves four.